The history of CAEI dates back to 1859, when coffee; sugar, tobacco and cacao trading were the economic pillar. The utilities from this activity were destined to purchasing lands to grow sugar cane and the construction of the Azuano and Ocoa sugar mills.
In 1878, the Santa Elena sugar mill was established with Mr. Sánchez and Mr. Damirón, and together they purchased the Constancia, from Dr. Joaquín Heredia, which was also founded that same year; both were built in the vicinity of the city of Santo Domingo, over the Monte Grande road, in the left bank of the Ozama River.
Early in the 1880s, the Angelina sugar mill was purchased, which had been founded in 1876, in the El Higo lands, some ten kilometers outside of the city of San Pedro de Macorís, by Mr. Juan de Amechazurra, a Cuban mechanic and sugar farmer. He milled until 1983.
The CAEI sugar mill was founded in 1883, under the name of Ingenio Italia, in a place known as Caoba Corcovada (*Spanish for crooked mahogany), closely located to the town of Yaguate, part of the San Cristóbal province. Their last milling operation took place in 2007.
The Cristóbal Colón sugar mill was purchased in 1921 to sisters Mercedes Nariño Fernández de Castro and Mrs. María Nariño- Mola. This central mill was founded in 1883 within the western border of the Higuamo River, located one kilometer (1 Km.) from the town of San Pedro de Macorís, under concept of the Castro and Mola commercial operation.